• 1000x300aa1.jpg
  • 1000x300i1.jpg
  • 1000x300i2.jpg
  • 1000x300ll.jpg
  • 1000x300zz.jpg

The Museum of Traditional and Popular Art was founded in 1972 in order to preserve our tradition and Popular Art. We called it "Baitouna Al-Talhami" which means 'our Bethlehem Home' in Arabic. It is located in the Old City of Bethlehem, a short walking distance from the Nativity Church and the Mosque of Omar, adjacent to the Municipality.

It is composed of two small houses that are typical of the Old Palestinian Architecture.

The First House:

A room where a big number of old photographs are hung on the walls. Mostly from the beginning of the twentieth Century. Few of the photos are from the end of the nineteenth Century.

gallery1    gallery2

The second room represents a large living room. There one can see how functional was what we call the living room. Rugs, mattresses, cushions, chests, pillows, brass objects, lamps, cradle, whatever one needs: All objects have their place where they belong. This was the only room of the house. This is where people used to eat, sleep, receive and entertain.

muse2    dinningroom1

The third room is the Kitchen. In one of the corners, you can see the Well, which gets its water from the roof in winter season when it rains; There is a big display of brass pots, pottery, different coffee grills, jars, etc.

kitchen1    kitchen2



The Second House:

animal1    animal2

It is an annex to the first one, but much older. On the ground floor (Al-Rawye) a room hewn in the rock. It was used for the domestic animals: the donkey, mare, goat and sheep.

 

On top of Al-Rawye:

jewelry2    muse31

Al Dar, the only room of the house in the ancient times. Now, it is used to exhibit the Bethlehem Costumes and jewelry.

 

On top of Al-Dar:

The (Illieh) is a bedroom built during the end of the 19th century. In this room you find a collection of pictures, beds, rugs, embroideries, cushions, etc… They represent the style of the Bethlehem people from 1900 to 1935.

julia2     julia1

All what is found in the (Illieh), has been donated from the private collection of Julia Michel Dabdoub from Bethlehem.

   

Copyright © 2012-2018, Bethlehem Arab Women's Union. All Rights Reserved - Designed by 18Hosting